- 375g pack of shortcrust pastry (ready rolled)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g/1lb onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1tbsp dried
- 750g/1lb 10oz floury potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 200ml carton creme fraiche
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- preheat oven to 200 (c)/gas mark 7 use the pastry to line the base and sides of swiss roll tin about 23 X 33cm
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 8-10 mins until they are beginning to caramelize, stir in the garlic and most of the thyme, and cook for a further 2 minutes .Scatter half of the onions into the pastry.
- Parboil the potatoes in boiling water for 4-5 mins drain well and arrange in the case, scatter the remaining onions.
- Beat the eggs, creme fraiche and mustard, and pour over the vegetables scatter over the rest of the thyme and bake the tart for 20 minutes until the filling has gone golden.